- Built: 1878
- Track: Polytrack
- Track Length: 10f (outer) 8f (inner)
- Features: Floodlit Oval
Kempton Park opened for racing in 1878 when businessman Henry Hyde passed the site in Sunbury on Thames and identified it as the perfect location for a new racecourse in the UK.
The racecourse enjoyed an illustrious history with high quality Flat and Jump races run over the turf surface, but on 2 May 2005 the history of racing at Kempton Park changed when the last Flat race on turf, The Jubilee Handicap was run and the gates closed for the development of an £18.8 million ten furlong, floodlit All-Weather track.
It was an exciting project for Kempton Park and the racing industry and has proven to be a beneficial business for its owners The Jockey Club and bookmakers, offering a TPF of £4.4 million of which £2.8million is dedicated to the All-Weather in 2016.
Located within the historic Jump track, the ten furlong, oval polytrack is right-handed with a bend radius of 137m. The track is 20m wide in the home straight with a false rail at the 2 1/4 pole which helps a trouble free passage to the winning post.
Kempton Park also boasts the first fully retractable floodlighting system used on a racecourse. Of the 42 floodlights that illuminate the track, 28 of the poles have the ability to lay flat to the ground – ensuring the view of daytime Flat and Jump Racing is not compromised.
Refurbished in 2015 & 2016 – by British company Martin Collins Enterprises, who designed the surface specifically for Kempton Park – in 2015, 1000 tonnes of original specification polytrack with additional fibre and wax was added to the course and in 2016, 56 tonnes of wax and 48 tonnes of CLOPF fibre were added. This has rejuvenated the track and extends its performance and longevity.
CONTACT THE COURSE
London Regional Head of Racing & Clerk of the Course:
Tel: 01932 753508 – Mob: 07880 784484
Tel: 01932 782292